ICOET invites professionals and students to submit abstracts for presentations at its 2017 conference. Abstracts for Podium (oral) presentations, Lightning Talk (oral) presentations (new for 2017), Poster presentations, and proposed Sessions are welcome.
The abstract submission period closed on December 7, 2016.
An Interagency, Interdisciplinary Conference for All Transportation Modes
ICOET is a forum for practitioners and researchers in transportation ecology and related disciplines who are engaged in governmental, academic, nonprofit, and corporate sectors. Presentations at ICOET focus on the interface between transportation systems and ecosystems in terrestrial and aquatic environments. Abstracts are invited from professionals and students working in:
- Fish and wildlife biology
- Engineering design and construction
- Transportation operations and maintenance
- Transportation policy and planning
- Natural resource and management
- Vegetation and habitat management
- Landscape architecture
- Urban and regional planning
- Social sciences – Human dimensions of transportation ecology
Authors may submit abstracts for Podium or Lightning Talk oral presentations, Poster presentations, and proposals for a complete Session. Choose the preferred type of presentation when submitting your abstract online. The ICOET Program Committee decides on the abstract’s accepted presentation type, with consideration given to the author’s preference and to recommendations from abstract reviewers. For more details on each presentation type, download and review the ICOET Requirements and Guidelines for Abstract Submissions.
Abstracts – excluding session proposals – must not exceed 500 words. All abstracts must be clearly written, in English, with your ideas well communicated. Your abstract should describe a current project, planning activity, or emerging issue addressing both transportation and ecological concerns. The described presentation should offer applicable research findings or best practices that may advance the field of transportation ecology. Your presentation also should be supportive of the conference theme. For more details on preparing you abstract, download and review the ICOET Requirements and Guidelines for Abstract Submissions.
The ICOET program includes numerous presentations covering a broad range of topics. When submitting your abstract for a Podium, Lightning Talk or Poster presentation, choose one of the following general topics that best fits your subject matter. Authors proposing to organize a Session should choose the Session Proposal topic when submitting your abstract. For more details and examples of subtopics within each program topic, download and review the ICOET Requirements and Guidelines for Abstract Submissions.
- Partnerships and Collaborative Approaches for Improving Transportation Ecology
- Sustainability and Resilience in Transportation Systems
- Planning for Transportation Ecology
- Policy and Regulatory Developments in Transportation
- Mitigation for Transportation Projects
- Vegetation Management within Transportation Corridors
- Stormwater and Water Quality Management in Transportation
- Aquatic Species, Ecosystem and Wetland Interactions with Transportation
- Terrestrial Wildlife and Ecosystem Interactions with Transportation
- Crossing Structures, Reducing Collisions and Increasing Connectivity in Transportation Systems
- Transportation Ecology in Construction, Operations and Maintenance
- Non-Highway (Rail, Aviation, Maritime) and Transit Transportation Ecology Issues
- Urban Transportation Ecology Issues
- Emerging Issues and New Directions in Transportation Ecology
Abstract Review and Selection
All abstract submissions are evaluated and scored on several criteria by multiple peer reviewers. The ICOET Program Committee considers score rankings, reviewer comments, and the diversity of topics and presenters in its final selection of presentations to be included in the conference. For more details on abstract review, download and review the ICOET Requirements and Guidelines for Abstract Submissions.
Publication of Presentations
ICOET will electronically publish the abstracts of all presentations from the conference in its online proceedings. A final version of your original abstract—revised and expanded as required—and a signed ICOET copyright verification form must be submitted following the notification of selection and prior to conference. Submission of your abstract and related presentation documents grants ICOET nonexclusive permission to publish.
Authors selected for Podium presentation, whose topics describe scientific research or similar work, also are invited to submit a full paper for the proceedings. Authors retain all rights to their papers for future publication in industry journals. Poster presenters also are encouraged to submit a PDF image of the poster for the proceedings. PowerPoint slides from Podium and Lightning Talk presentations also will be posted in the proceedings if requested by the author.
Notification and Registration
Please note the following dates and additional requirements for abstract authors:
- December 7, 2016 – Deadline for abstract submissions.
- January 31, 2017 – Primary authors notified of acceptance for presentation.
- February 28, 2017 – Deadline to submit revised, final abstracts and copyright forms.
- March 15, 2017 – All presenters must register and pay the conference fee by this date.
- April 30, 2017 – Deadline to submit papers and poster PDFs for conference proceedings.
- May 14, 2017 – Conference begins.